Limited-time discounts are a great way to create a sense of immediacy and push some fast sales on your Shopify store. If you want to know how to set them up in your store, then just follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Shopify’s built-in discounts provide a lot of this functionality out-of-the-box, however, it’s limited in other ways. For features like one-click bulk discounts, auto-tagging orders, automated discounts, and even custom sales badges, try the Bulk Discounts Manager app for free here.
Creating Limited-Time Discounts
Step 1) Log into Shopify and Navigate to Discounts
Of course, you will first need to access your Shopify dashboard. You can then find the Discounts section of your dashboard by clicking the option in the lefthand menu:
Step 2) Select the Appropriate Discount Type
Click the “Create discount” button in the top right and a popup will show with two options: Automatic discounts and Discount codes.
Which option is best depends on your preference as well as what you’re trying to achieve.
Discount codes are coupons that shoppers have to type or copy and paste in a box during checkout. It’s an effective way to reward specific customers with discounts.
Automatic discounts are pretty self-explanatory. You choose which products to discount and it will automatically be applied. However, you can still narrow down who is eligible or add minimum requirements.
Step 4) Configure the Discount
The first thing you’ll need to do is choose a name for your discount. For a discount code, this will be the same as the coupon code users enter to get the discount. Think “SPRINGSALE”, or something like that. For an automatic discount, just enter a title – this will also be visible to users on checkout so make sure it makes sense.
Aside from making your discount a limited-time discount, there are plenty of other settings to make sure the discount works exactly as you want it to. For example, you can pick the discount type:
- Percentage: Perfect for storewide or clearance sales. Deduct a percentage of the total cost from the order.
- Fixed value: Best paired with discount codes as a coupon or for sales on orders above a minimum value. Deducts the specified amount from any valid order.
- Free shipping: Free shipping is a great incentive to convert customers at critical junctures. However, make sure you know how much you’ll be paying out of pocket to cover shipping expenses, particularly if you run a dropshipping store.
- Buy X get Y: This is an effective method to clear unwanted or leftover stock. Or, to increase the overall value of an order by making the additional product discounted, but not free. However, carefully calculate your profit margins for the desired result.
Different discount types can have certain unique settings. However, with most discount types, you can also:
- Set storewide discounts or limit them to specific products/collections
- Set a limit on the minimum requirements to be eligible for a discount
- Make the discount only available to certain customers
- And, put limits on how many times a discount can be used.
Step 5) Set the Active Dates for the Discount
The final configuration option when creating a discount is to change the Active dates. By specifying a begin and end date for the discount, you can effectively determine its duration, making it a limited-time discount. This is very straightforward.
First, enter a start date. You can either directly input the date in the format YYYY/MM/DD or click on the box to open a date picker:
Repeat the exact same process for the “Start time” box.
This will ensure that the sale will only be active from this date onwards. If you also want to specify an and date, check the “Set end date” box below the start date and time. Rinse and repeat, by entering the end date (and time) in the exact same way:
Now, all that’s left is to click the “Save discount code” button to finalize the discount. As soon as the start date is reached, the discount will become active on all applicable orders. And, it will automatically expire if you specified end date. However, you can disable or deactivate a code at any time if you want to stop it prematurely.
To make managing your discounts easier with auto-tagged orders and one-click bulk discounts as well as to run more effective campaigns with customizable sales badges, check out our Bulk Discounts Manager plugin and try it for free.
The easiest way to create and schedule discounts on Shopify
Looking for a better way to create and schedule discounts in shopify?
Try the Bulk Discount Manager by amai